Let's talk losing hair after pregnancy -
While I was pregnant many women warned me about postpartum hair shedding, but of course I didn't think it would happen to me. Two months after birth and I'm freaking out. A lot of hair was coming out in the shower, it felt rougher than normal, I even got a bald spot on my hairline. My entire life, my hair has always been soft and easy to manage, so this was pretty devastating for me. Not all women will experience this, but as many as 90 percent of women do.
The average person loses about 100 strands of hair everyday, while new moms can lose up to 400 strands a day. While expecting, your pregnancy hormones keep hair from falling out which makes it to seem thicker and beautiful. Once you give birth the body has to rebalance itself and that includes getting rid of all the hair that wasn't shedding while you were pregnant.
While the shedding isn't permanent and can take 6-12 months to get back to normal, it is crucial to take care of your hair as best as possible within that time.
There are a few things you can do to reduce the amount of hair loss including:
- continuing taking prenatal vitamins or start taking postnatal vitamins
- deep conditioning weekly
- healthy diet - fruits and vegetables and plenty of water
- be gentle while washing hair (as if you have time to wash your hair these days lol)
- do not pull hair too tight
- massage scalp (even better with Lavender Scalp Stimulating Oil)
- seeing your hairstylist for routine treatment
- shampoo hair less
Don't fret friends, your hair will be back in no time!